Original 1227 Task Light -Open Box
This product is no longer available.
For over 70 years, Anglepoise has created table lamps and table lights that are now British design classics. In that time, Anglepoise has redefined all a table lamp has been and can be. Anglepoise table lamps remain true to George Carwardine's original design whilst incorporating modern features, such as energy saving bulbs. Anglepoise energy saving lamps are designed to replicate the intensity of light that is demanded by professionals, such as graphic artists and interior designers. Anglepoise is currently celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Anglepoise Original 1227, just one of Anglepoise's various famous ranges which include the Type1228 and Type 75.
While working in a studio in his back garden, George had become fascinated with the concept of spring based mechanisms allowing weighted objects to be moved freely into any position where they remain balanced. In 1932 he filed a patent that is clearly identifiable as the first Anglepoise lamp using 4 springs. George went into small scale production; and naturally he used springs supplied by Terry's.
However he soon realised he needed to find a partner. His patent became effective in January 1934 and within a month he had signed an agreement giving Terry's exclusive rights; and they started to manufacture the lamp in return for a royalty. The royalty was 4 shillings a lamp. The new product was launched at the British Industries Fair in Birmingham in February 1934.
Terry's were unable to register Equipoise as a name, so they adopted the word Anglepoise. Terry's had a numbering system where every new product was given a consecutive number. This lamp had two: 1208 was a short arm version with 12 inch arms and the 1209 had 18inch arms ? the same dimensions as George's prototype. The 1209 proved the more popular. The management of Terry's felt that the existing Anglepoise 4 spring design was too industrial and they had their eyes on the domestic market. George went back to the drawing board and working with the designers at Terry's they came up with the 3 spring version, known in the Terry's numbering system as the 1227. George applied for a patent 433,617 in 1934, and manufacture commenced in 1935. The sales of this new design quickly overtook the 4 spring original.View other products by George Carwardine