We all know that LEDs are way better for the environment compared to their incandescent forefathers but that doesn’t mean you’ve been convinced to make the switch. If you’re teetering on the fence between LED and incandescent, here are 7 things you need to know before switching to LED lighting:
Making the Switch to LEDs Is Easier Than You Think
To get the benefits of LED lighting, all you need to do is replace all your incandescent screw-in light bulbs for a screw-in LED bulb. Just make sure that you’re replacing your incandescent bulbs with a comparable LED that will match the performance of the previous bulb.
LED Lights Last And That Will Save You Money
At first, it might not seem like LEDs are going to be a lucrative switch. They are more expensive than incandescent bulbs. But, as we become more familiar with LED technology, the prices are dropping. What you really need to understand in terms of dollars saved, is that LEDs are more of a long term investment. So while the upfront sticker cost might be pricier, the payback time is worth it. For example, if you spent $15 on a 60-Watt equivalent LED bulb, the payback will be within a couple of years.
At the end of the day, LEDs extensively outlast incandescent bulbs since they experience more of a decline than a sudden burn out. Some LED can last you two decades with average use before they begin to dim. That’s just the money you’ll save on the actual product. If you swapped only 1 lightbulb to LED, it’s been predicted that you’ll reduce the amount of energy consumption 70-90 percent, saving you anywhere between $30 and $80 on your utilities over the course of the light bulb’s lifespan.
LEDs Use Up A Lot Less Energy
The big picture: LED lighting converts 95% of energy consumed into light unlike incandescent bulbs which convert only 10 percent of the energy for light with the rest of that 90% of energy wasted as heat.
Not All LEDs Are Created Equal
A great place to start is with Energy Star. You can search through their database and find plenty of products that they’ve put through the wringer and are worthy of getting the iconic Energy Star Label. And like all technology, LEDs are changing rapidly. We’ve got some great lighting experts here at YLighting that can help if you’re totally lost.
LEDs Are More Flexible With Light Direction
Incandescent bulbs throw out their light at all angles and directions, making directing that light difficult. LED lighting on the other hand is directional, so you can better focus the light where it’s needed.
LEDs Have A Range of Color And Temperature
LEDs come in a range of light colors and temperatures. Every light bulb emits a color of light, what is known as the Correlated Color Temperature, which corresponds to a Kelvin (K) temperature scale. The lower the Kelvin number, the warmer and more yellow the light is. The higher the Kelvin number, the cooler and bluer the light.
Deciding which light color to put where is a personal preference. But if you’re a little lost, light color that’s “natural white” or “cool white” are great choices for general ambient light. They also work well for the kitchen. Bluer more natural light or “daylight” bulbs would be best suited for your bedside reading lamp.
LEDs are Dimmable, Sort Of
While most LEDs are dimmable, the LED driver quality and LED driver compatibility with the control are two factors that determine true dimming performance. Not all LEDs are going to be compatible with your current dimmer switch, so be prepared for a little bit of trial and error. So while dimming is technically possible, be sure to double check that everything is going to be compatible and to your standards.
If you’re still on the fence about making the switch to LEDs, check out our LED Buying Guide for more information on LED lighting. If you’re still left with questions, give us a call at 866-314-0965. We’re happy to help!
Colin Wilkinson was a customer before joining the team at YLighting. A marketer and designer-at-core, Colin is passionate about simplicity, innovation, and quality. In time, Colin hopes to retire to the Napa Valley with his wife to make furniture and rescue dogs.